Friday, October 13, 2017

Weekly Report - Week 8 - 10/13/2017

Language Arts - This week I wrote a paragraph about the differences between the Maze Runner movie and the book. I also did my TTRS lessons and some spelling review. I did a Friday Freewrite about how much I hate Friday Freewrites. I read more chapters in The Death Cure.

Math - This week I finished up Volume II of Learn Math Fast and started Volume 3, Pre-Algebra. I started working on Hands On Equations level 1. I worked on math facts on XtraMath. I am SO CLOSE to having all of my times tables green.

Makerspace - I worked on my giant cardboard sword some more. I worked on the blade and making the edges of the sword. I wasn’t able to finish it this week because we ran out of tape.

Art - We worked on our halloween art projects some more. I am making a dragon out of something that is kind of like paper mache but it is more clay like. It’s something my teacher mixed up herself.

Science - We learned about elements and compounds and how you can take a compound apart into its individual elements but elements can’t be taken apart or turned into different elements. This is called The Law of Conservation of Matter. We watched Ted-Ed and BrainPop videos about the Law of Conservation of Matter and some other videos about making and breaking up water molecules. And we made gold! Ha ha, just kidding. That’s impossible. In my Uzinggo lessons, I learned about DNA structure and how there are four nitrogenous bases. I learned about the double helix shape and how DNA is in chromosomes and how chromosomes are in the center of cells in the nuclei. We also learned about what makes leaves change color in the fall. It is because they stop producing chlorophyll since the days get shorter and it isn't worth it to the tree to try and photosynthesize during the shorter days, so they stop putting energy into the leaves. As the chlorophyll breaks down, we can see the other pigments that the leaves have in them.


Other - In my co-op cooking class we decorated cupcakes. In Survival Skills we practiced using compasses. I have to write a 3-5 minute demonstration speech for my Speech & Poetry class. I am going to demonstrate how to make a can stove. We went on a walk along the river trail up Provo Canyon to see all the fall leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment