Sunday, January 6, 2019

Weeks 18-20

Language Arts: I did some lessons in my language arts curriculum. I finished a book on the Kindle and started another one. One book I also have been reading is What if? Serious Scientific answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions. 

Math: We met with our Math tutor and reviewed how to solve linear equations with two variables. He showed us a new method that used a matrix called the Gauss method. Elimination seems like the most straightforward method, but I guess Gauss is good for more than 2 variables. We also got our first homework for Unit 3 and I completed that over Christmas break and turned it in. 

Science: We finished up learning about the center of gravity. We talked about the difference between where the center of gravity is on a symmetrical object (like a paper plate) and what happens when you add a weight (we used binder clips) to one side. We also learned how to find the center of gravity of an irregular shaped object by using a “plumbob”. This only works with flat objects, though. I’m not sure you can do anything physically to find the center of gravity of objects that aren’t flat. 

History: We learned about Shulgi, one of the rulers of Ur during its renaissance. That's when the Ziggurat of Ur was constructed. He established a code of laws called the Code of Ur Nammu that were somewhat progressive for the time, because it didn’t require death for minor infractions. Instead there were fines that were payable by weights of silver since there wasn’t coinage or currency at the time. 

Makerspace (Tech):  I made my mom a Mister Rogers ornament. It is made out of wood. 

Programming (Elective): We had Lego League and worked on more missions. Our qualifying tournament is January 12. The nice thing about this year is that the tournament is at the Provo Rec Center. In past years we have had to drive up to Lehi or Salt Lake City. 


Other: I turned 14. For my birthday, my dad took me and my best friend to race go carts. I told my mom that I like Canada and would like to live there when I grow up and so she made me a Canada themed gift and also my birthday cake was the Canadian flag. My grandparents gave me an electric guitar. My dad has one that I have been playing but I am glad to have my own. I had basketball practice a few times and did a training session with Coach Buddha. We also made graham cracker houses and I made the Pentagon. We rode the UVX bus to the Provo Library and looked at the photography exhibit there. It was a National Geographic exhibit of great photographs of the West. 

Photograph at the exhibit. Taken with a slow shutter speed so the stars made light
trails. 

At the go cart arena

Ready to race

Mister Rogers ornament

Graham Cracker Pentagon 

Birthday dinner -- sushi!

My Canada gift box contents

Happy birthday to me
Videos about the Center of Gravity we watched

My new guitar





No comments:

Post a Comment